Mirch Masala has moved to a new location starting Jan 2011. You can now find me at http://www.mirchmasala.me Hope to see you all there! Thanks!

Date and Walnut Loaf

>> Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I dont know whether it has something to do with the weather or not..whenever, i see a sunny day after a couple of days of snow or rain, i feel like baking!!!!! Its probably just the thought having something hot from the oven with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the sun..thats what my facebook status said yesterday " enjoying the sun with a cup of coffee and a slice of date-walnut loaf" :) But, dont people, generally, feel like having a plate of hot samosas and a cup of coffee on a nice cold and rainy/snowy day?!! Well, i think its my way of celebrating the sun!! :)


Yesterday was one such day. The weekend was pretty horrible with hailstorms and rains and snow and sunshine and what not!! Seattle was going crazy again! The weather is to pick up from there and become pretty warm and spring-like and thats what im seeing now :) Yesterday was the beginning of that and i just loved the sun for it. I own only one cookbook on baking (pretty sad isnt it? *hint hint* to "anyone" who wants to buy me more ;) ) and i was going through it..cupcakes was what that caught my eyes first, but i didnt want to fuss around with the frosting and what good is a cupcake without frosting. Then the same old banana bread, AJ will defenitely not be happy to see another batch of banana bread. Not that he doesn't like it, but I made it like 3 times over the last 2 weeks. And then, I saw the recipe for a Walnut and Date Loaf. I remembered the box of california dates thats been sitting in my pantry for a while now. I generally don't like dates and we bought it sometime back to boost up the iron content in my body cos my medical report said that i was slightly on the anaemic side :( Now, Im alright! So, there I was, all happy to have decided what Im going to bake! :)

Date and Walnut Loaf
adapted from the book "Perfect baking"

6 0z butter
1 cup pitted dates, chopped into small pieces
3/4 cup Simply Orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
some walnut halves to decorate

Grease the bottom and ends of a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 325F. Place the dates, orange juice and water in a pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 mins or until a soft puree is formed (make sure the liquid becomes a puree and that most of the date pieces remain so). Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the beaten eggs. Sift in the flours, baking soda and baking powder and finally add the walnuts as well.

Spread half of this mixture in the loaf pan and spread the date puree on top of it. Top it off with another layer of the flour mixture. Arrange the walnut halves on it and bake in the oven for an hour or till a knife comes out clean when inserted. Once it is done, let it cool in the pan for 10 mins or so and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.


Enjoy with a cup of hot coffee, like I did!! :)



42 comments:

Mangala Bhat March 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

wow ! superchef ...looks yummy ..feels like grab them rightnow ! hey Thanks for stopping by and your comment :)

Deepa Hari March 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Lovely cake...looks scrumptious...i am ready to have a bite?

Priya March 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Such a flavoursome Loaf...healthy n delicious bake yaa!!..seems u enjoyed every bite huh!!!

Ashwini March 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

wow healthy and yummy cake..Looks very fluffy and very tempting..

Cham March 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

I love dates and nuts, ready to pick a slice with ur coffee. We can see the sunlight all over ur picture!

Poornima Nair March 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

The cake looks so soft, perfect...I love the combination of dates and walnuts...just baked a bread with them...will post it in a couple of days.

Sathya Sankar March 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

cake looks delicious, love the combination of dates n walnuts.

Varsha Vipins March 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

yeah..sun is there..but like a 0 W bulb..temp was minus today morning..:P
I love the idea of having coffee n bread on days like these..Just the sun rays that fall on the warm loaf is making me feel comfy..:)..Oops.I have some dates left too..Now I'd love to try this..more of a cake alle ithu..but am puzzled,how itl becum like puree..:-?

Indhu March 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

naiicee one Manju :)
love all your cakes...
I am also anaemic and my dad used to make me eat dates by telling me it was prasaadham and part of neivedhyam and I was young enough to accept that logic :). I need to start eating them again though :(
maybe I will like it if I use them in a cake...
and i like the teapot... do you use it or is it for the picture? :)

5 Star Foodie March 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Yum! The cake sounds awesome!

Superchef March 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Thanks Mangala and Deepa!

Thanks Priya, yes, I did enjoy every bite of it..still enjoying!

Thanks Ashwini and Cham :)

Thanks Poornima, will wait for your version of the cake.

Thanks Sathya!

Thanks varsha, well, just try boiling the dates in orange juice and see how it thickens up after a while! :D

@ Indhu - hehe..thats such a good trick..prasadam huh :)well, as for the teapot, im just crazy about teapots and mugs..this one was a gift from a friend..love the idea of sitting down for tea and pouring tea out of the teapot :D..i just got another set yesterday which i ordered a couple of weeks ago!! soo excited to use that now!

veggie belly March 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

oooh this is just perfect for tea time! I love the pictures with the sunlight streaming it :)

Mahimaa's kitchen March 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

yummy yummy cake.. looks toooo good. very tempting...

rekhas kitchen March 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

Date and walnut loaf looks so soft and yummy and yes you can serve sweet rice as a dessert this look s like a sweet pulao not like payasam means not a loquid texture I hope now you got it thanks for your lovely comment

Arch March 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Lovely One ! The dates taste absolutely yummy in the bake, had posted one a few days back on my version of a date and walnut cake.

Arch March 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Lovely One ! The dates taste absolutely yummy in the bake, had posted one a few days back on my version of a date and walnut cake.

Suparna March 11, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

Hi Manju,
The cake looks lovely,perfect with a cup of tea.beautiful snaps.
TC

Selba March 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

This looks so yummy! I want to have a bite of it :)

Chitra March 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

lovely cake,good to make everybody eat dates via this cake:)

Asha March 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

Dates and Walnuts, what's not like? Looks so delicious. Love Dates and crunch of Walnuts in cakes. Enjoy! :)

Ranjani March 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

I would totally love to snack on one of those right now! They look great...and it's 9 am and I'm already having the munchies!!

Happy cook March 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM  

I loveloaf like these,they are so delicius with a cuppa.
Wish i had a slice now.

Ramya Bala March 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

Adding dates itself gives an extara flavor..Yummy recipe :)

Smitha March 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

I wouldn't mind a large slice of that cake:)

Madhumathi March 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Its a healthy n delicious cake..

Laavanya March 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

My ears always perk up (imagine a little doggy if you will) when i read dates & walnuts since I have lots of both and bookmark those recipes.. got to try them out one of these days. This looks so easy & good.

Vishali March 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

mhh nice date and walnut cake Super Chef...ur name is a perfect macth for you...loved ur choco trifle too.

I was thinking u will be the first one to reply :) on my banana bread posting ...as I saw ur post that said u liked banana breads...now even i am big fan of them...

yes, this time I will try it with sour cream....thank you for the response and ur valuable tip...

AnuSriram March 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Looks fabulous! Feel like having some now.. Delicious!

Preety March 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

i am completely opposite than you..i like to bake when its rainy outside..that bread looks wonderful..i too want to give dates a try in my baking but they are so expensive here..:(

Sujatha March 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Your bread looks super delicious! I just posted my coffee mocha, and this looks like a wonderful combo with coffee! Hmm, got to try this one for sure!

Your chocolate trifle also looks beautiful!

Usha March 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Wow this looks fantastic, very tempting !

Raaga March 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

I love date and nut cake. :-) I must try this.

chuck March 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Superchef, what a beautiful bread. Nothing better than making a quick bread on a cold day and sitting back with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and enjoy. Love it!!!

Aparna March 14, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

Sounds pretty good. In fact we just polished off some carrot cake with tea.:)
Btw, you might remember Mr.Baker's here. They make a mean date and walnut cake during the Xmas season.

manila March 15, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Looks yummy.
I too make a date and walnut loaf. Although I don't use orange juice. May be I will try your recipe once.

Ankita March 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Yum...I can have date and walnut loaf with a cup of coffee even on rainy days:))I love spongy and delicious.

Cynthia March 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

Okay, your date and walnut loaf has pushed me over the edge. I must now go in search of something sweet to eat.

Superchef March 16, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

Thanks again, everyone! :)

Snooky doodle March 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

oh I love date and walnut! this must be delicious :)

PG March 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

had read this before now getting the time to commwnt. It looks delicious! dates and walnutrs ios my favorite combination and I love to use it with muffins

Sophie March 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

This looks like a delicious way to celebrate the sun, I also love to bake when it's sunny...or rainy :). I could enjoy a treat like this in all weather!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Mirch Masala and taking time to go through my musings and recipes. Your comments / feedback are very valuable to me and I will try my best to respond to each and every one of you individually.
Hope you enjoyed your visit here and come back again, very soon!

Followers

Mirch Masala on FaceBook

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP