Mirch Masala has moved to a new location starting Jan 2011. You can now find me at http://www.mirchmasala.me Hope to see you all there! Thanks!

Paneer Butter Masala on a Pizza

>> Wednesday, March 18, 2009

For those of you in the Bellevue-Redmond area, you must have visited CanAm Pizza atleast once. If not, maybe you should, especially to try their East Indian Pizzas. I was very happy to find out about this, as you know, the veggie options for pizza are very limited otherwise and I had been pampered by the tandoori pizzas at Pizza Hut in India. The butter paneer masala pizzas are my favourites and I had a pizza crust ( I use the Boboli brand) that has been sitting in the freezer for a very long time. About a month ago, I made a eggplant-mushroom pizza and I somehow forgot about the extra crust that we got.

Another reason for a paneer butter masala was that, I had tried out the butter chicken recipe from Varsha's blog (which was a big hit with AJ and some other friends who tasted it) and AJ said that the gravy reminded him of the paneer butter butter masala we used to have in this really small restaurant called "Aiyappas' in Kollam during our college days! That was one of my all time favourites. So, from then on, I wanted to try the butter chicken gravy again , but with paneer, this time. Thanks Varsha, for that yummy recipe of yours!

So here is what i did. I marinated the paneer instead of the chicken using the same marinade recipe. I pretty much followed rest of Varsha's recipe except that I added some garlic to the onions while grinding it to a paste and changed the quantities a little bit.
Here is the recipe that i used :
For marinade: 2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/3 cup yoghurt, 1 tbsp lime juice, 2 tsp Eastern Egg Masala, salt
Other Ingredients : 1 cup cubed paneer; 2 cloves garlic,minced; 1/2 inch piece of cinnamon, 4-5 whole black pepper, 2 green cardamom pods, 1 star anise, 1 bayleaf ; 1/2 tsp fennel seeds; 1 red onion, chopped ; few raisins; 1 medium sized tomato, pureed; 2-3 green chillies; 2 tsp chilli powder; 2 tsp Eastern Egg masala; 2 tsp ketchup, 1/3 cup fresh cream; butter/oil; a few tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves); 1/2 tsp sugar; a few sprigs of cilantro, chopped
Marinate the paneer and keep aside for a couple of hours and then grill it in the oven in the broiler setting for 20 mins or so.
Melt the butter or oil in a kadhai (indian style wok) and saute the onions, garlic and green chillies. Keep aside till cool. Grind them into a puree in a blender. Heat some more butter in the kadhai and splutter the fennel seeds in it. Add the raisins as well. Now add in the onion paste and saute for a while. Add the pureed tomato and cook for a while. Mix in the chilli powder, egg masala powder and let it cook a little more. Now add in the letchup, cream and the paneer and sugar as well. Let it simmer for a while. Top it off with some kasuri methi and chopped cilantro.
So, your paneer butter masala is ready.
Since the curry already has a gravy, I did not put any extra sauce on the pizza crust. I just spread the paneer butter masala on the crust and dotted it with miniscule pieces of mozzarella cheese. You won't even see the cheese, but you get a faint taste of it, which is good! I put the pizza in a preheated oven at 350F and let it sit there for about 10 mins or so. Since the curry is already cooked, thats all the time you need for it to mingle with the crust , just about a little bit. Once you take out the pizza, garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves, slice the pieces out and you are ready to serve and eat!!



Paneer on Foodista

53 comments:

Trupti March 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

Paneer Butter masala on pizza ..what an lovely idea..looks very delicious

Preety March 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

that is such a unique way to make pizza...i could never thought of making this way..so this is what we call thinking out of the box..go girl..gr8 job..

Asha March 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

WooHoo! Panner butter masala Pizza, looks so good. Bee told me she made Pizza with my Tomato kurma I posted last week, great idea. I must try this too! :))

Laavanya March 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

I've made it once this way, now I just marinate the paneer like tikkas and use a spicy tomato base instead.. This looks fabulous and I'm a big fan of paneer pizza fan.

Mahimaa's kitchen March 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM  

Indian version pizza sounds delicious.. much better than the ones here in the US. deliciousssssss

Ashwini March 18, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

yummy and mouthwatering..Love that combination..

Superchef March 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

Thanks Trupti!

Thanks Preety, you should defenitely try making one!!

Thanks Asha, I bet Bee's tomato kurma on a pizza would have also been great!!

THanks Laavanya - paneer tikka pizza..now thats something i can make next!

Thanks Mahimaa - thats precisely the reason why i like CanAm..

Thanks Ashwini!

Mangala Bhat March 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

wooooooooow ..! I LOVE PIZZA..
NEVER HERAD ABOUT THIS....LOVELY PICS ..NEVER TRIED INDIAN VERSION PIZZA ...SHOULD TRY THIS ASAP :)

Varsha Vipins March 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

wow..Thats really an out of box thinking dear..I am drooling..imagining the taste..yum..thanks for linking me n ofcourse for trying it out..:)
Da..u meant to link to that post lle? its going to home page I guess..here is the link..
http://varshaspaceblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/kerala-porotta-n-butter-chicken.html

Superchef March 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

thanks Mangala!!

thanks Varsha! i meant to link to your post only, but somehow it is going to your home page..will change it!

Yasmeen March 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

mmm..paneer-lovers delicacy:)

Pavithra Kodical March 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

Creative indeed.This looks yummy.

5 Star Foodie March 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Wow, I love this pizza - so creative and delicious! And thanks for the restaurant recommendation too - I will forward to my husband as he often goes to this area on business.

Suparna March 18, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Hi Manju,
That's a creative one! am sure this would taste very desi :) nice thing to happen to a phoren;) dish :)Would love to try it sometime.
TC

Indhu March 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

yummy pizza... and I used to live right across Can-Am.. love their pizza... don't know why I moved :(
and your pizza looks soooo tempting... am definitely making this...

rekhas kitchen March 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

ohhh so so mouthwatering dear not much cheese and spicy too great idea

Divya Kudua March 18, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Wow..thats amazing.Two favorites rolled into one!!recently I had a PBM frankie and absolutely loved it.I should definitely try this one out..great job!!

Divz March 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

ohhh thats a pizza with a twist!! loos great

Divz March 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

ohhh thats a pizza with a twist!! loos great

Shama Nagarajan March 19, 2009 at 1:32 AM  

wow..nice twist...lovely pizza

Meenal Mehta March 19, 2009 at 2:02 AM  

Hello Superchef :)

first time here and I have to say this is quiet simply incredible..i live in redmond and from the paneer butter masala at CANAM to the restaurants around that you mention on your blog, I have eaten the pizza and visited them all :)

WOW..have been blogging a while and hadnt come across a local blogger ..Ofcourse know all about the holi by NETIP at Marymoore park :))

want to compliment you on your lovely blog

do visit me sometime at Meenal's kitchen and keep in touch :)

-Meenal

srikars kitchen March 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM  

Looks tempting & delicious.. nice blog.. Innovative blog & excellant recipes...

RAKS KITCHEN March 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM  

Kewl! Reminds me of Chennai,where we can get paneer toppings in pizzas:)

Aparna March 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM  

That's a most unusual pizza topping. I ought to try it as Akshaya would be in seventh heaven. Tw o of her favourites in one!!

Vishali March 19, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

wow thats sounds good....and very delicious too...even i am planning to make a pizza ..:D

EC March 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

Sounds very interesting..will try sometime when I make PBM

Happy cook March 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

I am drooling here, more i looke to the pic and read the post more i am droolinf, wish i had a fat slice form that pizza.

Usha March 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

Great fusion ! Looks delicious :-)

AnuSriram March 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Wow.. thats very innovative! Looks lovely!

Archy March 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

pizza wid panner butter masala.. wow, wonderful idea !!

Superchef March 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Thanks Yasmeen!!
Thanks Pavithra for visiting me!
Thanks Natasha! Let me know when your husband will be travelling this side..i can help with more restaurant recommendations :)
Thanks Suparna! :)
Thanks Indhu!! you defenitely should not have moved out of that place..tch tch!
Thanks Rekha!
Thanks Divya..i love frankies..miss them here! :(
Thanks Divz :)
Thanks Shama!

Superchef March 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Thanks Meenal!! and im soo glad you found my blog and liked it!! I will add you to my blogroll and we will defenitely keep in touch :)

Thanks Srikar and Rajeswari!!

Thanks Aparna, you should defenitely make this for Akshaya..im sure she will love this!

Thanks Vishali, EC and HC!!

Thanks Usha, Anu and Archy! :)

Deepa Hari March 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Paneer butter masala in a Pizza?....thats a superb idea...very creative indeed...they look lovely.

Poornima Nair March 19, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

Wow...thats so better that the regular toppings...butter paneer n pizza...sounds sinful:)

Simran March 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Paneer pizza is my top favorite too. This looks good!

joey March 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Most interesting and something very new for me ... sounds delicious! Thanks for the unique idea!

Priya March 20, 2009 at 1:43 AM  

Omg wat a creative idea..just drooling over the pizza,real feast for pizza n cheese lovers na!!!

Smitha March 20, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

I love this idea. Very indian pizza. Will make it some time. Out here, I went to a restaurant called california pizza kitchen, I was served a curried chicken and mango pizza. It was delicious. They said that it was indian inspired. I guess they will serve your recipe if they come across it:)

Vicky Xavier. March 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

This is a very good idea. I always like Indian touch in all foods:) ur pizza looks delicious.

Prathibha March 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Wow Panner on pizza,i just love it..this is a special twist....great idea

Madhumathi March 21, 2009 at 6:48 AM  

Great idea..It looks very yummy and i will try it sure next time :)

Burp and Slurp~! March 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

this is sooooo amazing. you truly are a superchef. can I have just a smidgen of your ingenuity? or better yet can I live in your kitchen?

Superchef March 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

Thanks Deepa, Ranjini, Poornima and Simran! :)

Thanks Joey and you are most welcome :)

Thanks Priya and notyet100!

Thanks Smitha and thanks for the tip on the pizza in california pizza kitchen...surprisingly i never have pizza from there wheneven i go, wonder why?!! :D

Thanks Vicky, Prathiba and Madhumathi!

Thanks for vising me, Blurp and Slurp! :)

Malar Gandhi March 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

Very interestingvariation, nicely Indianized to suit our palate, absolutely love it...wish to try, if I get a chance to find 'paneer' here!:)

Uj March 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

That pizza looks so great with the desi twist.. Looks tempting

bee March 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

try presto pizza in sunnyvale, CA. similar concept, but even better.

BloggerGal April 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM  

ok superchef I just downloaded 5 of ur recipes for the next week..do note im inherently lazy n thus downloaded the easiest..but uv inspired me to achieve sme amt of culinary achievement -albeit minimal :) nyways m gna try ur Bulgur and Lentil Pilaf with Onions and Bell Peppers,Achari Bhindi and Lahori Dal,tomato rice,veggie pulao, another paneer with capscicum thing..will revert with rave reviews upon execution next week ;)

alice April 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

What a wonderful way to prepare pizza, my husband would love this!

Anonymous,  April 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM  

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. Last year I lived in Seattle and became quite addicted to PanAm pizza. Now that I'm living in the Netherlands, it's enough of a challenge to even find a good Indian restaurant and Indian pizza has become just a dream.

The link to the butter chicken recipe should maybe be changed so that it goes to that recipe rather than the blog: http://varshaspaceblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/kerala-porotta-n-butter-chicken.html

Superchef April 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

thanks anonymous, for pointing that out. I had linked to the post only, but somehow it again took me to the main page. I have changed it once again, hope it remains so! :)

kauz June 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM  

The really small restaurant in kollam called 'Aiyyappa'. I used to frequent that place too during my college days! back in 2002 - 2005. Nice coming across a reference to that wonderful joint!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Mirch Masala and taking time to go through my musings and recipes. Your comments / feedback are very valuable to me and I will try my best to respond to each and every one of you individually.
Hope you enjoyed your visit here and come back again, very soon!

Followers

Mirch Masala on FaceBook

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP