Mirch Masala has moved to a new location starting Jan 2011. You can now find me at http://www.mirchmasala.me Hope to see you all there! Thanks!

Roasted Potatoes Herbs De Provence

>> Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Its been one of those days, both yesterday and today, even though i spent time going through my reader and visiting blogs, I just was not in a mood to post any in my blog. I opened the page in my Windows Live writer and kept staring at it. I did not even know what to post about. Usually, I know which dish i want to post about, but sometimes don’t have anything much to write about it. That’s when i rant about the Seattle weather. But this was very unusual. I went through my folder of pics and there are a few dishes i can post about, but i just did not feel like it. And sadly, this week no menu planner also! Generally, during a Saturday/Sunday, you will find me sitting at the dining table with my laptop, some notes, 6-7 cookbooks and my menu planner. I happily sit engrossed in it for a couple of hours atleast, cos while making my weekly menu I also end up reading a lot more other recipes! and this is the time when AJ can be happily engrossed in his past time (the XBox) without being interrupted by me :D

So, coming back to new posts, I have been wanting to participate in the Weekend Herb Blogging for a while now, but somehow never got around to do it. Thats when i saw this in my picture archive…roasted potatoes Herbs de Provence. This herb blend is something that I have really really loved!!! I saw this for the first time in Market Spice at Pike Place Market. It is this small yet pretty famous store in Pike Place. They have all the different spices from around the world that you can imagine and they are sold loosely, so if you want to try out a spice but not sure whether you will like it, you can always buy very small quantities of it. They also have their own house brand teas. The Orange Cinnamon is the most popular one and most of the days you have some or the other tea sampling at the store!! I always go crazy when i go there, cos i see all these different herbs and spices and wanna buy all of them at once. It is like my little disney land! :) ( I have temporarily changed my profile pic to one taken in front of Market Spice. You will understand what I am talking about, then!)

On my last visit to Market Spice, i managed to pick up a couple of things. One was herbs de provence. I also got some fresh All Spice powder, fettucine spice blend, Mexican Vanilla extract and of course, some orange cinnamon tea!

IMG_7019

My loot from Market Spice

So, coming back to the recipe for the day, I made some Herbs De Provence Potatoes the other day as a side dish to our pasta. Both AJ and I generally love anything roasted with herbs in it – potatoes, veggie mix, chicken (only AJ) or anything else.Here is a little something that Wiki has to say about the herb mix .

“Herbes de Provence (Proven├žal herbs) is a mixture of dried herbs from Provence invented in the 1970s.The mixture typically contains savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender flowers and other herbs. The proportions vary by manufacturer. Thyme usually dominates the taste produced by the herb mixture. This herb combination captures the flavors of the sunny South of France.”

Some sources say that some ingredients in the Herbs De Provence like orange zest and lavender were later added to the blend, especially lavender, which was added for the benefit of tourists who saw lavender fields as something that represents the Provence region of France.I also read somewhere that some Herbs De Provence blends do not have lavender in them, thankfully mine had and it added such a wonderful flavour!!

052 Herbs De Provence Blend

Roasted Potatoes Herbs De Provence

Russet Potatoes - washed, skinned and cut into big cubes

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (i once used Spanish olive oil also)

2 tbsp herbs de Provence

1 tsp dried red chili flakes (optional)

Kosher salt, to taste

freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450F and spray cooking spray on a baking tray. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil, herbs de Provence blend and red chili flakes. Put this mix in the baking tray and make sure that the potatoes are spread out and not crowded in. You want them to be roasted and not steamed.Sprinkle some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and pop it int he oven.It will take about 30-40 mins for the potatoes to be done, but do keep an eye on them from time to time. Once the potatoes are cooked and soft on the inside and slightly roasted on the outside, you can keep the oven setting to broil for 5-10 mins for the potatoes to brown a little more.

This can be served as a side dish with pasta or casserole or any other dish!

IMG_7887

This is my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging #177, hosted by Ivy of Kopiaste. WHB was the brain child of Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen and now continued by Haalo of Cook (almost) Anything Atleast Once.

WHB3

43 comments:

Vishali March 31, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

delicious roasted potatoes with herbs...it must have been perfect with pasta...:)

And about writing, yeah its same with me. I like to post but when it comes to writing become blank :D.

Anyway, thanks for shring the recipe...good one.

Asha March 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

Perfectly roasted Potatoes, looks yum with all those herbs! :)

Indhu March 31, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

this looks awesome Manju... love the roasted potatoes... am sooo going to make this dish... I have been in this area for over an year and have been to Pike place market just twice... shame :( . am definitely going to this spice store.. :)

Mangala Bhat March 31, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

wow ! lovely post...hey i love this roasted potato herbs .when ever i go to olive garden R ...i prefer to eat this . .tastes awsome :)Thanks for the recipe :)

Preety March 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

i was also thinking of making this today as i have some potatoes left which i need to finish b4 leaving for india..yours looks crispy

Laavanya March 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

I love the shot of the herbes de provence and those roasted potatoes look so golden & heavenly.

Superchef March 31, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Thanks Vishali and Asha!!

Indhu - yeah!! shame on you!! you should go there more often!! n thanks for that lovely comment :)

Thanks Mangala, Preety and Laavanya :)

Priya March 31, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Would love to have this roasted potatoes even at midnite..lookz yummy n gorgeous picture!

Meenal Mehta March 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

delectable and super tasty ..will try it even though iam under the weather:)

Suparna March 31, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Hi Manju,
Thanks for the info. on Herbs De provence, seems a very aromatic and flavourful mixture of herbs. Lovely oven roasted potatoes..it'll make a great side dish. nice click :)nice entry for the event.wow!
P.S:orange cinnamon tea! sounds yummy!Enjoy!
TC

Vicky Xavier. March 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

Perfect entry for the herb blogging event. Ur potato roast looks so cute:) making me hungry.

girlichef March 31, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Yummy...I luv anything w/ herbes de provence!!! These look so tasty!

Varsha Vipins March 31, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

Double coincidence..I went crazy in this shop on SUnday n bought a bunch of things..but not this..:P
..n I was planning to bake this potato-rosemary for dinner tonite..:)
I loved that herb mix..looks yum on potatoes..:)

Smitha March 31, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

I make this in the similar manner:)

Deepa Hari March 31, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Lovely potatoes...perfectly roasted...addition of herbs would have made it aromatic.

Gopi Shah March 31, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

I can eat just this potatoes only...looks so yumm!!

Selba March 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

I love roasted potato especially with herbs on it :)

Ivy April 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM  

Hi Manju and thanks for contributing this lovely recipe. I have never used Herbs de Provence before but have all the spices separately, so I would really like to try this. In fact I bought lavender recently and have never used it before.

alice April 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM  

I would love to have them...roast potatoes with the aroma of herbs..!

Happy cook April 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM  

Just looking to the potatoes makes me drool, looks so so yummy delicious.
I too have days when i don't want to blog .

vidhas April 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM  

Lovley recipe. Potatoes roasted with herbs yum!!!! Can feel the aroma.

Ashwini April 1, 2009 at 6:54 AM  

Perfectly roasted potatos..Love the flavour and smell of the herbs..yumm

Yasmeen April 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

Tempting potatoes,some rice and dal please:)

Sujatha April 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

delcious looking potaotes.. love your shot with potatoes.. looks very appetizing with that herb coating! I usually buy this from frozen section, but next time I will sure try your version.. fresh is always good!

5 Star Foodie April 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

I love Herbs De Provence and sounds like a perfect seasoning with roasted potatoes!

5 Star Foodie April 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

I love herbes de provence and sounds like a perfect seasoning for roasted potatoes!

burpandslurp April 1, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

I just love potatoes...they are so versatile, and stands out in any dish! but roasted is definitely my favorite!

The Other Tiger April 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

Oh, those look delicious. I haven't made roasted potatoes in awhile...I should fix that.

Priya April 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Warm roasted potatoes fresh for the oven taste divine! and it smells great too. When ever I visit an organic store I feel just like a kid in disney too :)) don't rant about the weather in Seattle gal, it will only make me sadder :)

Madhumathi April 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Looks sooo appetizing!I too have this recipe in my blog..the herb pic is b'ful :)

Sathya Sankar April 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

The dish looks lovely and delicious, hearing about Herbs De Provence for the first time. will try to find it here :)

Poornima Nair April 1, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

Wow...that looks so inviting, feel like trying it out right now. Awesome dish.

Mahimaa's kitchen April 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

wwoooo.. the last pic looks too good.. very inviting.

Namratha April 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I simple love Roasted potatoes,and with herbs in them, they are simply irresistible! Loved your version.

Superchef April 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Thanks everyone for those lovely comments! :):)

EC April 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

Aah, its lunch time for me now and the potatoes are so tempting..feel like take a bit of it from the screen

burpandslurp April 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

thank you so much for you super kind words on my blog! you're just too sweet!

AnuSriram April 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Gr8 click! Looks tempting! Delicious!

Chef E April 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

I went crazy for a while when a friend brought me some back from France, along with olive oil, and other french goodies...and potatoes, what a comfort food!

Divya Vikram April 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

Potatoes get beautifully roasted with any herbs. lovely!

jayasri May 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

wow, this is more of my kind i can try this,!!, u must be wondering why, i do not do much of baking, i still on my first step of it, this looks gorgeous, my daughter said it was awesome, she loves anything about potatoes, she is drooling over it....

Rumela September 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Yum,Yum and YUM!!!!! I love roasted potatoes so much. How nice your roasted potatoes herbs de provence recipes. this is such a nice and interesting recipe. I ve never heard of it before but sounds delicious. ooooooooh! my mouth is watering. Can't wait to try it. i ll make this weekend when my hubby will be at home. thank you for shearing your post.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Mirch Masala and taking time to go through my musings and recipes. Your comments / feedback are very valuable to me and I will try my best to respond to each and every one of you individually.
Hope you enjoyed your visit here and come back again, very soon!

Followers

Mirch Masala on FaceBook

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP