Mirch Masala has moved to a new location starting Jan 2011. You can now find me at http://www.mirchmasala.me Hope to see you all there! Thanks!

Broccoli and Carrot Poriyal / Thoran ~ Broccoli and Carrot Stir Fry with Coconut

>> Monday, January 11, 2010

Coconut is omnipresent in Kerala cuisine – be it in the form of coconut oil, grated coconut, dried coconut/copra or coconut milk. I remember the days my paternal grandparents were still alive and we used to live in Kerala then. There used to be a blue metal storage shelf with netted doors, where vegetables and fruits and coconut and sometimes even pickles used to be kept. Somedays there will be more veggies, somedays less..there were days when the pickle jars used to get empty waiting for the next batch to go in. But there was never a day when that shelf did not have coconuts. DSC_0129

My grandmom used to buy vegetables from the vegetable vendor who used to come every morning with a basket of the seasons fresh veggies balanced on her head. I loved going to the front verandah and looking at what all my grand mom buys from her. There were different techniques to check the freshness of each thing that was bought. I was very happy when I was once allowed to tap the coconut with a knuckle and listen to the sound it made to determine whether it was fresh or not and also to shake and see how much water was there in it.  I did not know what kind of a sound i should be listening to but i felt very grown up to be doing that :) Even now I really do not know that. The frozen bags of grated coconut have spoilt me.


One of the very common dishes where coconut is used is a simple stir-fry with grated coconut.  All kinds of vegetables are used – cabbage, carrots, green beans, spinach etc. Sometimes combinations of veggies are used – cabbage and green peas, carrot and green beans are some of the common combos. I love the carrot and green beans ones the best – i totally love the color of the combo – the green and the orange and the white of the coconut makes this stir fry a delicious eye candy. Also I love to experiment with some of the not so traditional veggies. I try to stick to the color profile most of the time. Broccoli and carrot is one such combination that i love. My mom pulses the grated coconut with a couple of green chillis and then adds it to the veggies, instead of just plain grated coconut and that's how i make thorans too.DSC_0134
Broccoli and Carrot Poriyal/Thoran

1 broccoli head, cut into small florets
1 carrot, cut in half lengthwise and then into small pieces
1 tsp coconut oil / canola oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 dried red chillis
a sprig of curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt

To grind:
1/3 cup grated coconut
2-3 Thai green chillis

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the mustard seeds, let it splutter. Add the dried red chillis and the curry leaves. After a couple of seconds, increase the heat a little and add the veggies and stir fry well. Add the turmeric powder and salt as well. Pulse the coconut and green chillis once and add this to the pan as well. Mix well and take off the heat.


Serve hot with rice and sambar/rasam/moru curry and papaddams.

26 comments:

Ranjani January 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

Looks so bright and pretty!!

Sathya Sankar January 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Delicious poriyal Manju ! love the click.....

5 Star Foodie January 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

A very colorful side dish and I love the addition of coconut!

All About Food January 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

What a wonderful combination of flavors. I love the ease of stir-fry. I'm going to make this soon.

Indhu January 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

I love the colour combination :)
My mom makes this cabbage-peas-carrot with coconut veggie stir fry... I tried that.. but always end up making a mush of my cabbage...

Madhu January 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

We call them palya, thoran is not a thoran unless it has coconut in it. Lovely pics and love the combo as well.

Hb January 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Awesome pictures Manju,awesome again!:D

Danielle January 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

what a beautiful display of yummy veggies!

chakhlere January 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Looks so nice and colorful...very healthy too.

Priya January 12, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

Such a beautiful and eyecatching thoran..

Shirley @ Kokken69 January 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

I know very little about Kerala cuisine. It is of course, the definitive spot for Ayurvedic treatments - I do intend to make my way there when I in Chennai next time... You have a really interesting blog. I will be back...

Akal's Saappadu January 12, 2010 at 1:56 AM  

I remember the storage shelf in my grandma's house too; I have always wondered how she managed without a refrigerator until her last days... her butter was always intact at the right temperature & nothing get spoiled in that cupboard!!!

I love the addition of coconut/green chilies in my poriyals too; this is a nice colourful appetizing combination, broccolis & carrots pair well!!

Pssst: If you shake a coconut, you should hear a nice splashing sound, indicating plenty of water; then, it is a fresh coconut :)

Rachana Kothari January 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM  

The Poriyal looks tempting:) great clicks too.

Asha January 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM  

Very colorful, healthy and tasty, pics look mouthwatering.

Happy 2010 to you SC.

Mangala Bhat January 12, 2010 at 7:13 AM  

wow! amazing photography ..looks healthy!

Usha January 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Very interesting combination ! Looks inviting...

ruchikacooks January 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

Very colorful and healthy..And thoran without coconut is a no-no for us and this does justice to coconut too!

Mallugirl January 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

ahha1 combo is nice but the photo just makes me drool!

Big Boys Oven January 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

I love this, very attractive yellow, I would to try! :)

ruchikacooks January 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Gotcha ;)
Mostly when I say I made that rasam, ppl would like at me like I am from a alien land, but after tasting it they'd agree Im from TN :)

Just saw the navrathiri golu..looks nice.. do I get my sundal then?

Tina January 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Healthy and yummy poriyal with beautiful and tempting clicks...

Parita January 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

I too prepare thoran in similar way, love your pictures..vibrant and colorful!

Babli January 13, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

Wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year.
I liked your blog very much. I appreciate for your wonderful presentation. Poriyal looks delicious and yummy. I have become your follower so I will be visiting your blog hereafter. You are welcome in my blogs.

Sarah Naveen January 13, 2010 at 5:09 AM  

Love the color...Totally yummy and healthy...

Duchess of Tea January 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Darling you have a delicious blog and a new follower...me. I will return daily to see what's for dinner.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Mirch Masala and taking time to go through my musings and recipes. Your comments / feedback are very valuable to me and I will try my best to respond to each and every one of you individually.
Hope you enjoyed your visit here and come back again, very soon!

Followers

Mirch Masala on FaceBook

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP